I don't know about you, but there is something cozy about a good warm bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup. You might be felling a little under the weather, the weather can be looking a little grey and some rain drops, the snow could be failing outside... many reasons to justify why you " need" some chicken noodle soup.
So today we can have a clean cut reason why you should treat yourself with a nice warm full of flavor Chicken Noodle Soup, today it is Chicken Noodle Soup Day! It got named after a little radio gaffe, when Amos in the show "Amos 'n Andy" misread the script and said "Chicken Noodle Soup".
For all of you living in West LA, today will be a cozy rainy day. You might be in the same boat as me... wishing to be home cuddled up, or enjoying a good movie, or getting into some creative project (crazy how much this weather affects my creative side, I get full of ideas and get more productive with different things...), but we will be at work majority of the day. So if you are reading this and don't have plans for dinner, here is a good easy warm recipe for a delicious warm bowl. Will satisfy your palate, your belly will be happy and your wallet will not scream at you.
Ready?! This is basic recipe that mom and I came up with:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken thigh (you can use breast if you prefer)
- ½ med onion - diced (used red onion in this recipe)
- 3 celery stalks - cut half-moons crosswise
- 2 med carrots - cut in circles
- 2 cups broth (vegetable broth used in this recipe)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups of water
- 1 ½ cup Gluten Free shells noodles (you can use your choice of noodles)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Clean and dice the chicken adding some salt and pepper for seasoning, set to aside.
- In a medium sauce pan heat the olive oil in medium high, add the chicken and let it cook through, around 5 min. Start pouring the onions first, after 2-3 minutes add the carrots and celery. Cook them together for a minute or so and add all the remaining ingredients (expect the noodles), let it simmer till all the vegetables are all cooked, around 10 minutes.
- For last add the noodles and cook at the time is recommended in the package.
Hope you enjoy it just the way it is, but you can change as you please... add more veggies (I like to add broccoli and cabbage to my soups a lot), or take them out... Be creative, the kitchen is a fun place to be... So have fun with it.